Monday, November 18, 2013

Blog post 5

The article I chose is one that was meant to Inform. I chose it because they information conveyed is such that I found to be extremely useful and feel urged to share. The article "A California-style fix for Obamacare's runaway premiums" written by Harvey Rosenfield is something that I feel like could save millions of people from being taken advantage of the loophole for health insurance companies found only days new legislation approved. The legislation, passed Friday, originally had the individual American's best interest in mind.  Rosenfield clearly explains the issue and offers an excellent solution very explicitly stated as, " Regulation of insurance companies, introduced by Proposition 103, could repair a loophole in the Affordable Care Act".

Anticipating objections to this claim is not an easy task. The claim is seemingly beneficial to every individual American across the board aside from those to benefit from insurance companies taking advantage of the loophole in legislation (e.g. board members of big health insurance companies). The closest thing to an opposition I can find is likely very right wing conservatives. Citing the lack of successful track record of the idea of social health care and feeling that refining the idea instead of getting rid of it completely is a waste of time and money.
I understandably was unable to find a concession from the author of my article, I was also unable to think of one myself that Rosenfield could have offered. One that I read in the comment section was aligned with my previous statement referring to the likely very right wing conservative Americans who think that the health care reform should be eradicated completely instead of being refined. The commenter wrote, " That's the liberal attitude! If we don't like the price of something, we'll just assume that it's "corporate greed" and then pass a law changing the price to something that liberals believe to be more "equitable" or "fair". 
Because those policies worked so well in Russia, China, and Cuba! STUPID LIBERALS! DUST UP ON YOUR HISTORY! IT'S A FAILED POLICY, THAT'S BEEN PROVEN OVER AND OVER AGAIN TO NOT WORK AS INTENDED!".


Due to my articles lack of concession, I have no rebuttal from the author. However can easily rebuttal the commenter myself with saying that their statement regarding our health care reform being a futile effort, however it is an effort being made regardless and for American's not to make revisions to better protect themselves in the thought that the health care reform may stick, would be very unwise.

(also I didnt write the date of the article because for some reason it is time stamped November 19, 2013 which is impossible being that it is currently 11/18/13, must be typo?  http://www.latimes.com/opinion/commentary/la-oe-rosenfield-obamacare-prop-103-20131119,0,2059028.story#axzz2l40k7SNP) )

No comments: