Wednesday, February 15, 2012

I chose the statement,
“On the deepest level, the obsession with thinness is about cutting girls down to size. Now one could say this more vividly than this relatively new size in womenʼs clothing, size 0 and size 00. Imagine a man going into a clothing store and asking for anything in a size zero, but our girls are taught to aspire to become nothing.”

This statement really said something to me, something I completely agree with.  When you look through Teen magazine, clothing catalouges for women, and children for that matter, you see and image, "thin equals happiness." From the time I was a young girl I can remember watching T.V. or looking through a clothing magazine and seeing these ultra thin girls jumping around with beautiful clothes, lots of friends, and absolutely no curves at all, and I would think to myself....If I looked like her I would be happy like her.  Look at how young the audience is www.shopjustice.com  I don't see the cute, average looking child in this ad. Its know wonder seven million women in America have an eating disorder.www.state.sc.us
We need to educate young girls about the effects these unhealthy choices have on there bodies, and teach them to be resilient.

1 comment:

This Must be the Place . . . said...

Orianna,

This is a really good example: "Look at how young the audience is www.shopjustice.com". I've seen the store in person -- and am rather unimpressed with its glitzy, semi-sexy, teenybopper aesthetic. Prices seem pretty ridiculous, too -- I don't even pay $30 for shorts. :) The store appears to have the same appeal to exclusivity that Abercrombie and Hollister do -- really overpriced, unexceptional (and really very casual) clothes (these stores cater especially to very thin young women).