Friday, June 22, 2012

post #1 All About Animation




In the review by Ty Burr, for the Boston Globe, I feel like he is focusing too much on the animation of the movie and makes his strategy one of pathos.  I chose this review because the author uses many strategies to get to a broader audience.  For instance Ty says “the company (Pixar) dares to treat kids like adults and lets the grown up relocate their inner kid”.  This makes me think that wow not only will kids enjoy this movie but grownups as well.  Although he makes this movie sounds interesting it isn’t long before we see that he is trying to bash it as well.  He describes it as awkward, adolescent, and never less than weird.  In the plot the author does put a spoiler alert and I do believe that there is a purpose behind this.  After his spoiler alert he emphasizes “..stop reading.  I mean it…”.  This is certainly an alert that would make the audience want to keep reading instead of doing as told.  It’s like telling a child not to grab a cookie from the cookie jar, simple reverse psychology.

I feel as though the author of this review was expecting more out of this film.  Ty does describe many details of the animation.  Ty mentions that he expects this type of animation from DreamWorks, FOX or Disney, but simply just too ordinary for Pixar.  I certainly don’t think that a broad audience would appreciate the way Ty glorifies Pixar but expects less of other animation networks.  Especially since I would like to think that a broader audience would worry more about the comedy of the animation.  Overall this to me seems like a credible yet confusing review.  He does point out many bad sides of the film but also points out the good.  Ty’s review focuses mainly on what went wrong with the film.  I wish he would have focused a bit more on something other than the animation quality.

No comments: