Tuesday, September 17, 2013

An Appropriate Argument at the Drafting Stage . . .


From an anonymous commenter on the article "10 Tips on How to Write Less Badly"
The article's written to academics and contains a few tips that don't apply to students, but several of them are really work thinking about as you draft. Really.

"Getting a first draft down on paper is akin to plopping wet clay on the wheel for the first time. It is simply the beginning of writing. Editing (or re-writing) IS writing, just as carving and re-shaping the frumpy pot on the wheel is still "making a pot." When I hear students or colleagues say, "I've written it, now all I have to do it edit it," I cringe. The truest, deepest writing is in the rewriting.

Thought for the day and such.

2 comments:

Shannon Kristine said...

This is totally how I am feeling right now....that I am plopping my paper out! LOL

Amy Bolaski said...


Shannon,

I feel the same pretty much all the time (writing-wise, that is).