Saturday, August 25, 2012

ENGL 100 2572 Blog #1

Chris Sawin wrote a movie  review for "ParaNorman"  on the Examiner.com. What grabbed my attention for this particular review that I found on Rotten Tomato was the title " 'ParaNorman' is amusing animation for the horror fan in all of us". The title of this review made me want to read about why the movie had amusing animation and why it would stimulate the horror fan with in me. The introduction starts by giving a brief history and comparison of the Laika Entertainment's previous stop-motion animated picture "Coraline". Chris Sawin states "Laika Entertainment, the studio behind "Caroline", has brought "ParaNorman", which is certainly in the same vein and travels a similar path to greatness." If you are a fan of the previous movie then you can most definitely check off the fan box of "ParaNorman". He then goes into the summary of the movie by giving an outline and information on the characters as well as the humor and content by warning you of the language use which includes "hell" and "jackass"( since this film is PG). Chris rounds off the review by mentioning the influence of zombie movies and classic horror films. He then ends the review by adding how the film is "brilliantly animated with an amazing cast and clever writing."

I read a couple of reviews and thought this one would help me with the understanding of how a review should be done. I liked the the set up and noticed there are three basic points that need to be met. The points met started with the introduction of  the film by giving a brief  background and history of film makers , then transition into the movie characters and their goal in the film and finish with their opinion on whether the film was good or bad. Writing a review seems like a short and simple formula without giving the key points away. The reader should just get excited about the film and have a good idea if they would want to see the movie.

I read the review by Chris Sawin before taking my son last night to see the movie. We really enjoyed "ParaNorman" there were a lot of parts that made me laugh and it had some good messages for kids like anti-bulling and forgiveness. I was a little nervous about my son watching this movie since the main character Norman talks to the dead.While watching the movie I kept wondering if my five year old son was going to ask me 101 questions about talking to the dead. Fortunately he was amused by the awesome animation and funny characters including zombies. I would definitely recommend this movie to all.
http://www.examiner.com/review/paranorman-is-amusing-animation-for-the-horror-fan-all-of-us

No comments: