Saturday, August 25, 2012

Review of review of Garden State



Nick Rogers reviews "Garden State" on thefilmyap.com (pulled from rotten tomatoes.)

I like this review because it gives a good glimpse into what to expect from the film without giving out much information. It's an awkward weird movie and the review does a good job depicting that. It gives a glimpse of the darkness behind the movie in that Andrew is dependent on anti-depressants and without them, along with the death of his mother, he seems lost. I also like the way it describes Natalie Portman's role because it is true, she just seems extremely natural. 

I chose this review because it didn't feel forced or overshot like some of the others I read. There's no unnecessary adjectives or any other "fluff". A lot of the other reviews I read I felt the need to bust out a dictionary to figure out what the hell the critic was trying to get across. "Unexpected comic  payoffs delayed Andrew's dilemma of choosing spontaneity over smoothed-out existence" was a sentence that I really liked because the comedy in this movie really does just randomly pop out of nowhere, and the subtle parts that are funny are really damn funny. 

If I were to emulate this review I would just really take into account how straight-forward, yet interesting, it was compared to many other reviews out there. The review got across what it needed to say while keeping me compelled to read it without a bunch of junk words thrown in. 

Personally, I really love Garden State even though, as I said earlier on, it is an awkward movie.  I'm a huge fan of Zach Braff and am impressed with him writing and directing this movie in that it's a complete change of pace compared to his show "Scrubs". Also, this is a little irrelevant but I love the soundtrack.



I don't have time to read anyone else's to see if I did this right but I'm crossing my fingers!

No comments: