Thursday, August 22, 2013

Blog one: Beginnings

It seems like every time I take a glance around I'm at a new beginning. Sometimes I have to wonder where the endings disappear to. All of these experiences and endeavors constantly blend into each other and it's a rather surreal feeling. I lean back, take a breath, look out at the world and find myself at another beginning now. A fresh semester with fresh faces, new insights, and pristine peeks into the madness we all hide inside. It's invigorating and beautiful... and I seem to have forgotten my manners. I suppose introductions are in order.



Cue dramatic three-quarter profile shot

Hello fellow students, my name's Chris; I'm 27 years old, and I feel older every time I meet someone who doesn't know who the Smashing Pumpkins are or what the Goonies is. I'm a life enthusiast and love to explore new things. I feel most alive when I can be outside and exhausting myself.

I'm a geek at heart and enjoy myself a good dungeon crawling hack and slash, lasers blazing sci-fi, or cog-spinning steampunk escapade. I read most things I can get my hands on, to my own detriment at times, and enjoy a variety of genres.




I share a common bond with many of you out there in my passion for animals, I enjoy the company of many feathered, furred, scaled, and even sometimes slimy accomplices.





 Here's my two African spurred tortoises and my dog, Capo. Much to his shelled friends torment, Capo enjoys carrots.





Woodwork can be surprisingly therapeutic, here I am blowing off some steam while creating a piece of art which now spends its days as a candy vessel.


I enjoy a good day of paddling around in a kayak, whether it's fresh or salt water. Here's my sister taking a row at Lake Hodges, which is more like a bayou this time of year. Funny how when it comes to water sports you never end up with pictures of yourself.




There are countless facets and to my life and personality. I hope I've at least been able to give you all a decent glimpse. I'm sure I'll be permitted to point out more of my quirks and let you all a little deeper down the rabbit hole by the time this course ends. I bid you all adieu, until next time.



3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Chris! Let me make you feel younger by saying that I know EXACTLY who Smashing Punpkins is, and that The Goonies is one of my favorite movies from when I was a kid. As a reader, have you read Game of Thrones? I've never seen the show but the books are amazing? And what about Dune? That one isn't quite as well known (at least in regards to the people I know. Apparently I'm the only one to have read it).
Your tortoises are HUGE! How long have you had them for? I used to have one named Squirtle but I had to give him away sometime back. They're really awesome pets :)
Anyway, I won't talk your ear off so I'll end it there but it was nice to meet you.

Unknown said...

I've read the first book of A Song of Ice and Fire, but keep finding other books that have grabbed my interest a lot more. If you liked them you should check out the Kingkiller Chronicles by Patrick Rothfuss. I've read Dune as well but it's been a long while, I think I've probably read about 80% of the NPR top 100 list actually. My two tortoises are 25 and 20 years old and weigh about 95 and 80 pounds respectively. They have a horrible habit of rearranging the landscaping constantly and I constantly find patio furniture scattered all over the lawn. On the bright side, I don't think I've ever had to mow the lawn. I regularly refer to them as my flinstones lawnmowers. Thanks for the interest in my post!

bossenfort said...

Hi, Chris! Nice to meet you!
I agree with you that woodworking can be surprisingly therapeutic. Unfortunately, I don't get the opportunity to be creative in that channel too often anymore. But when I can, I sure do enjoy the craft. What kind of woodworking do you typically do?

Cheers!