Sunday, July 22, 2012

Blog 5: Texans don't like to learn ya'll.yee haw!


     This article informs us what the Republican Party of Texas stands for in 2012 by giving us highlights such as their opposition to teaching critical thinking to students because it may undermine their religious beliefs.  The author and I agree that this is fucked.  Part of my opinion piece was talking about how kids these days don't know how to think for themselves, and here you go.  If I found this article earlier, I may have incorporated it into my essay.  They're also opposed to sending kids to preschool and for giving teachers the right to enforce with corporal punishment.  At the bottom of the article, she gives us the whole Republican Party of Texas Platform where you can read such fascinating sentences as "We support the definition of marriage as a God-ordained, legal and moral commitment only between a natural man and a natural woman, which is the foundational unit of a healthy society, and we oppose the assault on marriage by judicial activists."  Wow... If you want a glimpse into the abyss, read the whole doggone thing.   They're against the morning after pill and the state lottery for Pete's sake.  I don't think I could take reiterating their stances on homosexuality or abortion.  I barely got through it the first time.
     Laura Hibbard never once stated her opinion outright.  She chose to use their own words against them, quoting directly for emphasis on how ignorant these leaders of men and women truly are.  It was a brilliant way to highlight, plus, the Republican Party did all the work for her which means she was able to let us know what she was thinking, while not needing to back herself up.  There wasn't any concession, nor do I think there needed to be in this type of piece.  I was provoked to love my parents more for not raising me in Texas.

No comments: