Friday, July 27, 2012

Preface (Blog Post 6)


This was a great class. The people in this class were amazing, funny... and everyday I looked forward to going. I am so thankful I had the chance to be in such an entertaining class. It is way different than high school. Of course I expected that, but I thought it was going to be a scary experience. But it was the opposite of everything I had in mind. So thank you for making my first college class ever a great one!

I can't even begin to list how many new things I learned in English 100. Before this class, I was not confident in writing at all. I have never had strong reading/writing skills. I am one of those people that wrote "And then, then this, and finally," but now, I feel that I can formulate a much better essay than I could before. The papers we wrote in this class were very interesting, and different from anything I've wrote before. My favorite would definitely have to be the opinion piece. I was able to put all that I learned from the previous papers into the opinion piece, and I was very happy with the outcome of it. The workshops were very helpful, so I hope whatever English course I take next uses it as well. Not only did the workshop on my own paper help, but workshopping other papers and listening to what others had to say about someone else's paper did as well. The comments/suggestions from the class and the teacher helped me realize how much I needed to improve in writing, and the revisions made me notice all the mistakes that I thought were correct! I will for sure apply all that I had learned in this class for in the future. Thank you so much everyone, and of course, thank you very much Amy!

1 comment:

Amy Bolaski said...

Kristyn,

"and everyday I looked forward to going" -- really? Truly? I'm glad to hear it. I feel the same, actually - so weird.

This is ideal: "I was able to put all that I learned from the previous papers into the opinion piece, and I was very happy with the outcome of it." I'm genuinely so glad to hear it. You really did progress, and you'll develop more and more of a style as you keep writing. You're proficient technically; now you can play with tone, style, diction, etc.

I'm always glad to hear people say workshopping was useful even when it was someone else's paper. I still maintain that workshopped papers tend to yield the highest grade of the lot.

Thanks for your feedback, Kristyn. I enjoyed having you.