Friday, July 27, 2012

Blog 6


       This was by far the best english class I've had. I liked how the focus was on composition, and wasn't grammar or syntax based, but was more about idea flow. I think I have the MLA format memorized after several papers, but I'm sure there are still plenty of errors in my writing. The class worked well because everyone got along, even when very edgy subjects were being workshopped. Everyone brought a little of their energy to the table, and it made for lively workshopping.
        The workshopping was my favorite part of the class. It's too bad it was only a six week class, it really flew by. I would have like to have had another paper workshopped, but I learned alot from all the feedback I recieved. It was tough to follow everyones revisions without completely rewriting the paper, but I think I accomplished it. Although my reading skills have always been strong, I always felt my writng was weak and not up to it's full potential. Also when writing, I tend to use language like I would when directly talking with a person. I learned in this class that writing can be alot more strategic than regular speech, and that larger more advanced techniques are necessary to convey ideas clearly. Beyond that there are tone choices to make almost any topic discussable without offending most readers. There is no doubt my writing skills can be improved upon, but I look forward to working on that in future english classes.

1 comment:

Amy Bolaski said...

Rob,

"This was by far the best english class I've had."
"Best" being a relative term and all, shall I assume you mean "best in show"? "Best" in terms of sheer entertainment value? "Best" in terms of inspiration to drink heavily at night? Ha.

I would love to have you in a future class. Only so many of those I teach, I suppose, but there's always Lit 120 and 201. You've got a gift with language that, once it's balanced with fine-tuning and editing at the sentence level, will serve you very well.

Thanks for your feedback.