Sunday, July 22, 2012

Post 5


I chose this article because it deals with the opposing side of the article I just wrote on marriage. Although I disagree with how he feels he makes valid points (and definitely does a better job getting them out). I wish I read this before I wrote my paper because I could have learned a thing or two from how he structured is piece.

The article by David Blankenhorn, is an interesting piece of how his view on same-sex marriage has changed. He catches my intention at the start by stating all he has done over the past years as a fight against gay marriage. A book he wrote five years ago is among the many things he has done, yet after all this time he is changing his view. Keeping me interested he begins to list why he felt the way he did before. He transitions perfectly between his old opinions, touching on each briefly but explaining them enough where I am not left confused. He then establishes what his article is meant to do by going in depth to his new stance on same-sex marriage. He no longer sees same-sex couples as a threat to marriage but something that can help strengthen its value. In his article his knowledge of the topic is outstanding because he has looked at it from both sides. He could easily make a compelling argument that would make anyone think no matter what side they chose. He uses his knowledge to not only inform but connect with the reader using pathos. At one point he is talking about children and how they deserve the right to the two parents that brought him into this world. Later using children again he states that they are not always given that love from birth parents but can find it in others. The paper as a whole definitely left an impression on me although my stance remains the same I am somewhat more aware of the ideas motivating the other side of this argument.

No comments: