Saturday, July 14, 2012

Blog#4-Opinion Piece

London's  Olympic Legacy !!

*Olympic Games 27 July - 12 August



OK, I was confused about what we need to do so please let me know if I’m wrong in something or if I miss something.

I found this article on Salon.com. It’s about 2012 Olympic Games. How the games are changing London? According to the article (“London’s Olympic Legacy” by Iain Sinclair), London has changed in a very fast and good way thanks to the Olympic Games. Giant screens, new pavement on the streets, make arrangements in stadiums are many things for which London has begun to survive economically and socially.

“I set off to Stratford. We had been promised an Olympic taster, the procession of the torch through London. The elevated footpath is accessible through Wick Lane, as it passes beneath the A102. Here is the fault line where the virtual collides with the actual: a Second World War concrete pillbox, a stutter of built and half-built apartment blocks, a lock-keeper’s cottage converted into the set for a breakfast-time television show. Concrete-producing tubes cough and spew (Sinclair).”

One of the rhetorical strategies that Sinclair used is imagery, where I can see almost trough my own eyes what the author is seeing. He describes how London has been changing since 5 years ago where it was promised to be the set of the 2012 Olympic Games.

I choose this opinion piece because I like to hear about how some countries change in a positive way when they have the set of some important events, like: “2012 FIFA World Cup South Africa” or “World Summer Games Athens 2011.” I think that I learn many things about these countries that have been hidden for so long and how this type of event change the way people around the world see them. It also gave them the opportunity to represent their own culture, how beautiful their land is and the way they live day by day.

by Tania Lopez

No comments: