Friday, July 27, 2012

Blog 6

Blog 6

I learned a lot in this class and it didn’t put such a huge damper on my summer break like I thought it would. The main papers weren’t all that terrible and actually kind of fun. The rhetorical analysis was the most challenging for me but I learned a lot about recognizing rhetorical strategies. The order in which they were assigned was also ideal. By the time I got to the opinion piece I felt more confident than when I began to write the review. My process of writing was a bit weird due to my work schedule, what I ended up doing was writing in chunks. I would begin to write as much as I could at night until I got really tired and passed out, then in the morning I would go back and continue. I found that to be pretty effective. I am probably going to use AXES in the future, very helpful.

I thought the tentative grade system that allows for revision is perfect for an English class. I am extremely happy I got a teacher that does this. I recommend everyone to go to RateMyProfessor and give Amy all the kudos she deserves. Great class.
Workshopping was cool specially when we got to the opinion pieces, lots of good topics.
I am still doing revisions on my draft and since we didn’t have time to workshop my paper. After getting 1 revision (from Will) I thought it would have been great to get everyone's thoughts or ideas. I know Bryan wanted to read it so heres a link to it if you feel like reading it and sending me feedback. (sdc137@yahoo.com)


1 comment:

Amy Bolaski said...

Daniel,

Glad you like the grading system. I think it works well and emphasizes revision. Lower stakes, less stress, all that stuff.

AXES is formulaic but can definitely be useful, especially if you need a shortcut.

Thank you for the compliments, especially in the face of completely running out of time for your workshop. I'm hoping the commentary I and Will sent is at least useful.