Saturday, July 28, 2012

I Am Number Six


This class was probably the most interesting college class I have taken so far and I will always remember it. At first I wasn’t pleased to be taking an English class over the summer, one of the subjects I hate the most, but when we started workshops it didn’t suck so much coming to class. The random side conversations, people arguing with others, and everyone making fun of Bryan (even though he is smarter than half our class for getting college credits while in high school, just saying). This class has taught me a lot about writing and even more about what to look for when reviewing my writing.

At the start of the class I just thought I was going to be another boring English class where they try to cram the same stupid grammar rules into my head. Even though we only had three major papers and some blog post throughout the whole class I waited last minute every week to assure I would be up till 3am on a Saturday night. And every time I felt completely prepared and knew all I wanted to say, it never came out the way I wanted nor was it as long as it needed to be. I never felt that great about what I had written, even while work shopping others I thought to myself how much better their writing was then mine and the many things I could do to improve.

The very first time we got a paper back (the review just in case some of you have already forgotten) I think Professor Bolaski wrote more side notes than I had information. But it wasn’t just hey this isn’t that great here is your grade, F--, it was suggestions, corrections, and many many ways I could improve. I think that was the best part about the class, that we didn’t just write something one time and called it a day we continued to look at it and at others to find ways to become better. My writing has slightly improved since the start of the class but my ability to realize what problems I am making has improved tenfold since we started just six weeks ago.

Overall it was a great experience that has made me a better writer and reader. I will miss these days especially because the classes at Cal Poly are so boring and nobody I mean not a single soul talks in any of my classes. Feel free to add me on Facebook, search Addison Bernal and hopefully you recognize my face. Just a heads up if you feel the desire to add me I do post my opinion about everything, if you hated my paper we work shopped it just might be best you stay away from the Facebook. But I do love a good argument and will honestly stay online until I feel that I have won or there is no possible way for me to win (not very often do I feel like I lost). Thank you all for being a part of my summer and making this worthwhile. I hope you all the best of luck in all of your endeavors, and when in doubt just think WWSD (What. Would. Spider-man. Do?) I am not too big on Batman

1 comment:

Amy Bolaski said...

First of all, grammar is NOT stupid. Good grammar is sexy! Life changing! Your ticket to a higher grade!

I appreciate your feedback and your ability to weather the storm of criticism during your workshop (though I have to hand it to everyone else, too, for appealing primarily to logos rather than ethos . . . and see? This stuff comes in handy everywhere!)