Friday, July 27, 2012

Blog 6


Even though this was my first class since I graduated high school in 2000, I enjoyed this class very much.  I definitely learned a lot because I considered my writing to be simple. I like the topics that we had to choose from for our assignments, because they called for nothing less than interesting writing.  The assignment I absolutely dreaded the most was the rhetorical analysis.  However, I did learn something with this piece, and that was that there is more to writing than just simply writing.  I will admit I am a procrastinator and not necessarily by choice.  I would wait because I am bad with writing my thoughts down and going back later to figure out what I was trying to say.  On the opinion piece (somewhere in the middle and about 1:30 AM) I found myself nodding off and decided that “…dddddddddddddddd…” was very appropriate for my paper. Six pages later, I woke up and told myself that from now on I will start my assignments ASAP, instead of ALAP.

From the many workshops that we did in class, I felt that my writing level was subpar.  I had to step it up, so with the help of the Instructor comments, the workshops, and the visits to the Writing Center, I am able to put together a better written article.  The fact that I am a procrastinator didn’t help my problem, but it did help me remember points I wanted to make because they were fresh. Another thing that took a lot of the pressure off was not having to turn in a final draft on the assigned due date. Though I worked hard on the first drafts of all my papers, it was nice to know that I had a chance at a better grade, especially since I know my writing needs work. I am definitely a more confident writer having gone through this class.  Thanks Amy and the 11:20 AM English 100 class

2 comments:

Unknown said...

"from now on I will start my assignments ASAP, instead of ALAP" Haha I will remember this line and apply it aswell

Amy Bolaski said...

Steven,

I love this: "because they called for nothing less than interesting writing." I like to think so, but you never know.

I'm so glad you feel like you're more confident in your writing. You definitely progressed, and you did a lot of genuinely good work in the opinion piece. I haven't read the final version yet, but I'm about to.

I appreciate the feedback and am glad to see you ever so amused those last few days.