Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Blog Assignment 4 (due by 7/14)

***I, too, will be participating in this blog assignment, so I'll be posting and commenting on several articles.

We're going to begin the opinion piece quite soon, so you're going to find and read a few, then post about them. Fairly easy, but will take a bit of time.

You need to choose several pieces from the "Opinion" section or those labeled "Editorial" (you can choose any paper/magazine you want, but it needs to be an opinion piece). (A few publications that will have quite a few: The New York Times, The Washington Post, The Village Voice, The Los Angeles Times, The San Diego Union Tribune, Salon, Slate, The Nation).

You can look for/read opinion pieces that cover local, national, or global issues. If you want something local, you need to look at local publications, like The North County Times, The San Diego Reader, etc.

Choose two and post the links to them. Briefly summarize each piece, tell me a bit about why you chose it, and discuss a few rhetorical moves the writer makes. Also consider whether the piece makes use of a claim/concession/rebuttal sequence. If it's there, do you think it's effective? Identify the claim, the concession, and the rebuttal (you can simply cut and paste from the piece for these identifications).


***I've taken to posting things inspired by our always on-topic class discussions, so if you're into wasting time and procrastinating (as I clearly am), enjoy.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm having trouble trying to choose opinion pieces, I think it's because I'm not entirely sure what it is I'm ultimately supposed to do with them, I'm a big picture person. If I can see how blog 4 ties in with the paper, it would be easier. Could you post the Opinion paper prompt to blackboard for us?

Amy Bolaski said...

Hi Steve,

I posted the folder (including the prompt). All I'm really asking you to do in this one is get familiar with the genre and perhaps spark some ideas for content (in your own). Don't over think this one -- if you want, choose a few reflective (or counter to) a topic you might be considering. Or, choose one of national interest and one local to explore the difference. I'm going to post a few in a bit; maybe that will be helpful. And then there's always maybe not.

Unknown said...

Cool, thank you.