Thursday, July 26, 2012

Blog #6 Preface: A Look Back; A Look Forward


This class has been a lot of fun for me, although I’ve had a lot of trouble concentrating, and anything technological escapes my understanding. I enjoy writing, and I enjoy discussing writing strategies, so the actual portions of class I was able to make were awesome and informative. My writing style is unique in that I don’t really plan what I write. I start writing and let the words flow from my head. As such it is extremely difficult for me to write a paper I’m not invested in. If I don’t care about it, I’ll likely struggle with writing it. This in part is why I am a procrastinator; the added stress of knowing that the paper is due the next day kicks me into gear and gives me the adrenaline I need to knock the paper out. I don’t think about it then, I just do it. This leaves for a large variety of problems to arise, and I frequently pay the price for my procrastination.
                A lot of what I need to work on is focus. If I would focus on what I need to write when we get the assignment I’d be able to get it done quickly and not have to worry about it. Instead I’m usually in a mad dash at the keyboard attacking keys so furiously that I’m surprised my computers last me as long as they do. I’ve been known to come to class without final projects in hand, and improvise them on the spot. It is not unusual for me to do so, but it is stressful, and I’d probably get even better grades if I were to take my time before the last minute to get the papers done.
                I’m really good at creative writing though, just letting ideas flow from me and trying to switch off my conscious brain so that my subconscious can lead the way is something I’m rather good at. When I feel as though I can’t focus I’ll usually take a break and come back to the paper, generally taking a little time for facebook or any of my Star Wars websites that I frequent. I feel that I do better with free range papers. This is because it gives me a chance to let ideas flow from my brain and onto paper, I can focus because I picked the topic, and I can easily make word counts or page counts because I have a lot to say about any given situation I care about. For topics I don’t care about, I try to find something within that topic I can make myself care about. I think that sincerity is what good writing is made of; no one wants to read a load of crap that they know someone was forced to write. However, when you read a paper someone genuinely cares about, you enjoy reading it. Even if you hate their stance on an issue, passion is something that we as human beings are attracted to.
                I would describe my writing as passionate, eager, and almost egotistical. I have such an overt personality that it is easy for people to get caught up in the wake of my enthusiasm. This translates into some powerful writing that makes for compelling arguments and descriptive thesis. All in all I feel like I’m an amateur writer, with much to learn, but also with a lot of raw potential. 

No comments: